Friday, March 28, 2008

Giving parents a lesson on gender identity

Do I set up a blog just for talking gender identity to antagonistic parents and feel somehow connected to them, or do I try to develop a website where parents of straight kids can go if they are “freaked out” to learn their little one has to go to school with a trans-gender kid, or has a friend raised by two mommies? The Website would be a bit more distant, but I know nothing about developing a website. Blah!
If I could develop a website here are some of the pages I would want:
• Basic definitions of gay, lesbian, homosexual, homophobic, transgender,
transsexual, etc.
• Statistical information regarding % of population who identify themselves
as GLTB, their high school drop out rate and suicide rate, etc.
• General information on the stages of coming out
• Information on bullying and how to stop it
The trick to talking to parents of the straight kids is to use resources not associated with “homo-friendly” publications. (PFLAG, etc.) In order for the audience to trust me I have to use information from sources like the American Pediatric Association, the American Psychology Association, etc. No easy task, but I am sure the research is out there and sufficient.

No comments: